The setting is my friend Marsha Reinecke's historic home in Geneva, Illinois
It is Valentine's evening
Marsha and Mark were celebrating the occasion at their home with another couple.
Dinner had concluded, the men retired to the parlor and the women cleared the plates to the kitchen. Within moments, actually a mere minute or two, the men smelled smoke and looked back into the dining room to see flames on the center of the table, nearly lapping the base of the chandelier
The fortunate result is the water goblets had not been removed and were fairly full. Marsha believes that if they had gone back into the kitchen to gather water, the fire would have been out of control.
Below was a wooden floor
Adjacent was this grand wooden staircase. Actually, this old house is all wood
The dining room table had a pad, topped by a tablecloth and here is the damage in minutes, notice how wide it spread.
An inexpensive taper and it's spark. You see, what has since been discovered is that the cost friendly tapers were made in China. The wick contained metal shavings, they all do.
Right, metal + fire = sparks.
My go to candle company is Creative Candles manufactured in the US, Kansas City, Mo.
We constantly re-order this staple for the shop.
Relaying this story to my family, they did not realize the candles scattered everywhere, for Christmas, were faux.
made in the USA or faux, I too can enjoy my guests, attractively.
I truly consider this my most important post and I urge you to pass this message on. That is what friends do, we look out for each other. Thank you for this warning Marsha
As an aside, Mark Reineke, Phd, wrote this book, available here . In concise, laymen terms, he guides us, brilliantly. Leave a comment, would love to send a copy to one lucky reader
PS; Thank you for all the wishes for a speedy recovery, I am half way in, only 3 more weeks. Won't be dancing, but shuffling sounds really good about now!